My
grandmother’s house has always been a place of solace for me. She’s always
lived a simple life. She didn’t have internet or cable, and it’d always been my
little getaway spot. I remember sitting there on her porch sipping on my glass
of sweet tea. There was a nice breeze out and the sun was descending from its
position in the sky. It was rather peaceful. Though her front yard was gated, I
could clearly see the homes around me.
There
was a white faded building directly to the right of my grandmother’s home. It
was an old apartment building that held two families. It was old looking, and
unattractive. It always felt oddly placed in the neighborhood, but too old to
tear down. An old couple lived on the second floor. They kept to themselves.
The man often sat by his open window, occasionally lifting a cigarette to his
mouth. He remained in the spot for much of the day, while the old woman would
leave to buy groceries from time to time. There was a family who lived just
under them. The couple was in their early to mid thirties and had three small
children under the age of ten—the youngest was no more than two years old. They came and went as well. I didn’t know much
of anyone around me, nor them of me; I simply watched them when there was
nothing else to do and we all just kind of came and went throughout the day.
As
I sat there counting the number of cigarettes the old man would smoke in one
sitting, a blue minivan suddenly came speeding around the corner and down the
road towards me; it grasped my attention immediately. It was always so slow in
the neighborhood, and I was quite excited to see some action taking place
around me. The van braked to the right of me, converting my slight excitement
into fear. The minivan remained on as the driver quickly got out and
frantically walked to the door of the apartment building. He clenched his fist
tightly and began to hit the door with the side of his hand.
“Mark,
open the door now!” He yelled. “Let me in! Let me see them!” He continued to
bang on the door but there was no response.
After
a while, the door slightly opened. The chain appeared to still be on and
someone stood by the door facing the minivan man. They appeared to be having a soft
conversation which aggravated me. I couldn’t hear a thing. The minivan man
began to take slow steps backwards away from the door. As the apartment door in
front of him closed, he quickly turned to his car to enter the driver seat
door. His expression had changed. I only caught it for a second before he sped
off in the same manner he had arrived, but I recognized the expression. It was
fear.
I
sat there, pondering on what had just occurred. His very expression had given
me chills. An expression I couldn’t escape. It was forever engraved in my mind
and I needed to know what the man knew. What had Mark told him? I was not only
aggravated with my lack of information, but the man’s expression continued to
trouble me.
I
got up from my chair on the porch to refill my glass with sweet tea when I
heard another car come speeding down the road. It was a police vehicle. He
didn’t have his lights on, but even from afar, I had a feeling it was going to
stop at that old apartment building. And it did.
Two
cops came out of the speeding vehicle when it had finally came to a halt. There
was nothing distinctive about them. They were both older gentlemen, perhaps in
their forties or so. They faced each other, the car in between them, and begin
to whisper something across the roof of the car. They both nodded in response
to their secret conversation I was not a part of, and I watched intently for
their next move.
One
of the police man reached for his radio, reciting some numbers I didn’t know
the meaning of. And they then, both in sync, walked towards the door and
retrieved their pistols from the holsters on their hips.
I
debated on going inside for the next couple seconds, but quickly convinced
myself that watching this was very entertaining and I wouldn’t want to miss it.
The
policeman closest to the door clenched his fist and too began to bang the side
of his hand against the old wooden door. “Brownsville P.D! Open the door!” He
gave the door a couple more hits, repeating the statement a second time, but
there was still no answer. The policemen exchanged a brief look and nodded to
one another. The first officer took a
couple steps back and used his right leg to kick the door. It fell to the floor
instantly as they rushed into the apartment, announcing themselves as police
officers.
There
was silence after their announcement. I waited, staring at the door that lay
there, but still heard nothing. About thirty seconds had passed. I knew kicking
down someone’s door was serious, and I waited for an arrest to take place, but
there was none. I heard movement coming from inside the apartment, as one of
the police men quickly made their way out of the door opening and onto the
sidewalk outside the apartment building. He leaned over towards the grass in
front of him and vomited. The second police man made his way out of the same
opening, and his expression matched that of the minivan man’s. He reached for
his radio and looked towards the porch where I sat. He looked into my eyes for
a second, realizing he was not alone, and turned his back towards me as he
whispered into the radio attached to his left shoulder.
TWO YEARS LATER…
“Alright,
I just have to stop by my grandma’s house for a second to pick up something for
my mom and then we can take off. It shouldn’t take too long. Try not to be
inappropriate,” I said with a smile. I
pulled up to the right of my grandmother’s house to enter through the side
gate.
“Hey, I think I’ll just wait in the car.” I looked
towards her, as she stared at the old white building.
“Why?” I said sternly. “My grandma really wants to meet
you.”
“Your Grandma’s house gives me the creeps. It just looks
like a haunted whore house,” she said jokingly.
“First off, my grandma’s house is over here” I said
pointing towards the familiar porch to the right of me. “And secondly, people
died in there. So let’s not joke about its creepiness, because it really is
just creepy.”
“Are
you serious?” she said, staring at the door way boarded up cheaply with wood
that had corroded over the past couple years.
“I
wish I wasn’t.”
“Was
it just like a random person died in their sleep, or was it like murder or
something?” she seemed very interested in the topic. I suppose I would be as
well if I hadn’t been on the porch that day.
“It
was a murder suicide. Multiple murders actually. This guy killed his three kids
and his wife, and then he killed himself.”
“Oh
gosh, I remember it now! The guy was all over the news a couple years ago. His friend
came to visit him, but saw something weird inside or something, so he called
the cops, but they got there everyone was dead. That’s the place right? Did you
know the family?”
“No.
I don’t really know anyone around here. Are you ready to get off?” I asked,
hoping she’d forget about the building next door.
“We’re
gonna go inside? Is it open? I kinda wanna know what’s in there!”
“I
was talking about getting off to meet my grandma, not breaking and entering into
the building next door, Sam. I really don’t wanna see what’s in there, if
there’s anything still left in there. The police were in and out of there. They
probably swept the place clean.”
“Oh, c’mon. Just for a minute or two?” she said as she
reached for my hand. “Please?” She smiled that smile I adored, the one that
made me do all the things I never wanted to do.
“Fine. But not right now. My grandma’s waiting.”
“Okay. We’ll come back tonight then!” she said with her
eyes still fixed on the building next door. She was a little too excited to
enter the place I had only ever seen from the outside.
THREE DAYS LATER…
The
night felt darker than usual. There was an obvious absence of stars in the sky
above me, and the clouds were parting their way towards the full moon rather
quickly. I stood there for a moment, mesmerized by their motion, as I began to
walk towards my parents Sedan, my head still tilted back gazing at the black
sky.
I
spent my life looking for the thrill. The little chill you get when your friend
jumps out of the dark to scare you, I liked the feeling. I wanted the thrill of
the chill, and now I can’t escape it.
My
phone began to ring, loudly piercing the silence of the night. I jumped at the
sound of it as it fumbled in my hands, and quickly brought it up to my ear.
“Hello?”
I answered before the voice on the line had spoken.
“Are
you coming? I don’t want to be alone.” I knew the voice. Sam had asked me to
stay the night with her before, but her intention was different this time. I
could hear the change in her voice. Her tone was now different; she was
different. I could hear the fear in her voice and it gave my body chills.
“I’m
on my way. Try to get some sleep. I have a couple of errands to run.” I hung up
quickly before she could contest. I have no errands. The truth is she doesn’t
want to be alone, but I don’t want to be alone with her. I’m supposed to be
brave for her, but I’ve never been so scared.
I
opened the door to the car, and hesitantly glanced into my rearview mirror.
There he was. I quickly turned away. I didn’t want to look at him. He was
always there. They all were. Everywhere I looked. I saw them when I was awake
and I saw them in my dreams. I couldn’t escape them.
No comments:
Post a Comment