Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Lessons of the Sea (couplet)

As soon as I found my way back to that land,
I left my belongings to lie in her sand.
I had been here before—perhaps a time or two,
I often swing by when there’s nothing to do.
Her shores were clear and her waves quite loud,
And the sun shone bright above a wide cloud.
My skin was shocked by her water so cold,
Her sand healed my wounds as my soul felt so bold.
And the foam on the surface would fade as it lay,
And with each crashing wave, I felt the earth sway.
She would push me down but cradle my fall,
And rising again, I felt never so tall.
I stood now awaiting the next trial to come,
I closed my eyes deeply; my body went numb.
After the hit, I just laid there afloat,
Waiting for rescue, I felt like a boat.
I rose once more for the last of embraces,
I patiently waited; my heart beat in paces.
The breeze in the air felt cold on my skin,
Yet recovered warmth I had lost deep within.
And finally it hit me—the trials had meaning,
When rising again, my fears had been fleeing.
I lay there at last—enveloped by motion,

Remembering how fond I was of the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment